If you’re planning to pursue your studies in teaching and you are looking for funding, then you should consider applying for the Funza Lushaka Bursary. The bursary recently opened its 2023 applications, here’s when these applications will close.
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a multi-year programme to promote teaching as a profession in public schools. Applications for this bursary for the 2023 academic year have opened for new and returning students.
So if you want to study teaching at a public South African university then you should apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary which aims to increase the number of skilled teachers who have a teaching qualification in an area recognised as priority.
Funza Lushaka bursaries are available for Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) qualifications as well as Bachelor of Education degrees.
Funza Lushaka Applications Closing Date 2023
Applications for new students will close on 1 February 2023.
This bursary is awarded for one academic year at a time therefore returning students who were funded by Funza Lushaka previously should also apply for the bursary during the application period.
Re-applications for these returning students close on 29 November 2022.
Funza Lushaka requirements
In order to apply for the bursary applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be 30 years old or younger
- Have no other teaching qualifications
- Must be a South African citizens with a valid South African ID number
- Good academic ability
- An exemption, endorsement, or ‘admission to bachelor degree studies’ pass at matric/Grade 12 level.
- At least a level 4 pass at matric level in the two subjects which the applicant will specialise to teach.
- For students who wish to specialise in the Foundation Phase, a Level 2 pass in Mathematics or Level 4 pass in Mathematical Literacy at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, a t least a level 4 pass in the Home Language is required.
- For students who wish to specialise in the Intermediate Phase, a Level 4 pass in Mathematics and a level 4 in a Home Language subject and/or a Level 4 pass in Science Subjects at Grade 12 level is required. In addition, at least a level 4 pass in the Home Language is required.
- Students who wish to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, including CAT, IT, and other Technical stream subjects and who do not have these subjects level, must have at least a level 4 pass in Mathematics or Technical Mathematics.
- Must be accepted into an approved B.Ed. degree or PGCE programme to specialise in two or more of the priority subject areas.
- Must be committed to teach in any school to which a student may be placed by a Provincial Education Department (PED)
The Funza Lushaka Bursary covers tuition fees, accommodation including meals, learning materials and they provide a monthly living allowance for living expenses.
How To Apply
- Open the e-Gov portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Register by providing personal information.
- Login to the system using username and password created when registering.
- On the e-Services Menu select Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme.
- Enter the OTP received on the preferred channel.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- On the dashboard menu click on the 2023 application button.
- Follow the steps to complete the required field with your information.
- Accept the declaration to confirm the information captured.
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible before the deadline in 2023 because the bursary scheme will not be accepting late applications.
My name is John U., I’m the founding Editor at Demzyportal and an SEO Expert. I make sure every blog post published on Demzyportal is EPIC.