SANBI Bursary 2023 – The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) was first established in 2004 in accordance with the National Environmental Management Biodiversity Act under the South African Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries.
SANBI’s main aim is to conduct research and decimation of information pertaining to biodiversity as well as contribute to the country’s management of biodiversity resources. SANBI is also responsible for partaking in ecosystem rehabilitation and restoration. This ensures that the country’s National Botanical and Zoological gardens enhance the country’s biodiversity for educational and entertainment purposes.
ABOUT THE SANBI BURSARY 2023 PROGRAMME – FIELDS COVERED
SANBI is inviting students to apply for their bursary programme, for studies from April 2023 until April 2025.
The bursary will be awarded for MSc studies, to postgraduate students who are enthusiastic about their studies, and have strong conservation interests to undertake a research project to generate the information required for the making of non-detriment findings by the Scientific Authority for one of these CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora)-listed plant species:
- Aloe peglerae
- Euphorbia flanaganii
- Euphorbia groenewaldii
- Euphorbia obesa
- Euphorbia stellata
- Stangeria eriopus
MORE ABOUT THE SANBI BURSARY PROGRAMME – EXPENSES COVERED & SELECTION
The bursary will provide cover for university fees and living expenses, to the value of R150 000 per annum, for a total of 2 years.
The bursary recipient will be required to identify an appropriate supervisor at a South African university and register with the university by no later than 31 March 2023. SANBI will provide a co-supervisor and will cover the operational costs of the project.
Shortlisted/ successful candidates will be contacted within 30 days of the closing date – if you do not receive any feedback by this date, please consider your application unsuccessful. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this bursary.
Demzyportal Bursaries is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the SANBI Bursary.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SANBI BURSARY 2023
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You may be a South African citizen or a non-citizen
- You must intend on studying towards an MSc qualification to undertake a research project, towards one of the plant species listed above
- You must be registered or intend on registering at a recognised university in South Africa, by no later than 31 March 2023
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE SANBI BURSARY 2023
Download and complete the SANBI Bursary Cover Sheet 2023 (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- ID document (certified copy)
- The passport must be South African resident (certified copy)
- Letter of interest (including why you should be awarded the bursary)
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- 2 letters of reference (one must be from an academic supervisor) (read how to get a reference letter for your bursary application)
- Academic records (certified copies)
- Highest qualification (certified translation if required) (certified copy)
Applications must be submitted via email to: [email protected] AND [email protected]
(Insert the words “Scientific Authority MSc bursary (priority plant project)” in the email subject line).
- The submission of the above documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified.
- Name each document clearly.
- Preferably, combine the cover sheet with the rest of the documents and submit them in 1 PDF file.
- The total email size must be less than 9 MB.
CLOSING DATE FOR THE SANBI BURSARY 2023
22 March 2023 (at 09:00).
(Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
CONTACT THE BURSARY PROVIDER
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) directly:
Contact person: Tasneem Variawa
Tel: 012 843 5188
Email: [email protected]
A Writer, Content Creator, and Author at Demzyportal.