On this page, you will read about Obed Bapela Biography, Age, Wife, Career & Net Worth…
Kopeng Obed Bapela (born 1958) is a South African politician who is serving as the Deputy Minister of Co-operative Governance and Traditional Affairs.
He is currently serving in the South African Government in the cabinet of President Cyril Ramaphosa.
|Full Name||Kopeng Obed Bapela|
|Date of Birth||1958 (age 63 years old)|
|Net Worth||$500, 000 (Estimated)|
Obed Bapela Age
He was born in the year 1958 in the Township of Alexandra in Gauteng, South Africa. As of 2021, he is 63 years old.
Obed Bapela Wife
Bapela is the husband of the former City of Johannesburg Council Speaker, Constance Bapela. She died in February 2018 at the age of 55 after suffering from a long illness. The couple have three children together.
Bapela took part in the 1976 student uprising. He was a member of the African National Congress (ANC) underground structures from 1979, and also a founding member of United Democratic Front (UDF) in 1983.
He was detained several times and appeared in two political trials in Port Elizabeth and Alexandra between 1986 and 1987 and between 1987 and 1990.
He holds a Diploma in Journalism and various other Certificates in such varied fields as community and organisational development; safety and security and policy development.
As a Member of Parliament he sat in the Portfolio Committee of Foreign Affairs and Trade and Industry, before becoming Deputy Minister for DPME.
Memberships, Positions and Other Activities
- Part of the 1976 uprising student activists
- Member of the African National Congress (ANC) underground structures since 1979
- Member of the Congress of South African Student (COSAS) in early 1980s
- Founding member of Alexandra Youth Congress in 1983 later became its Deputy President
- Founding member of United Democratic Front (UDF) in 1983
- Member of the Civic movement later known as South African National Civic Organisation – SANCO (1985 – 1986)
- Deputy Secretary of ANC Johannesburg branch
- Regional Secretary of the ANC PWV (1991 – 1994)
- Deputy Secretary of ANC Gauteng province (1994 – 2000)
- Served as Ex-Official in the National Executive Committee of the ANC
- Detained several times and appeared in two political trials in Port Elizabeth and Alexandra (1986, and 1987 -1990)
- Member of Joint Rules Committee
- Member of National Assembly Committee
- Member of Joint Programming Committee
- Member of National Assembly Programming Committee
- Chairperson of the inter Parliamentary Group on International Relations
- Member of Portfolio Committee on Foreign Affairs and Trade and Industry
- Facilitator/Chairperson of South Africa- European Union Inter Parliamentary Meetings
- Member of Gauteng Provincial Legislature (1994 – 1999)
- Served on Gauteng Portfolio Committee on Safety and Security
- Former House Chairperson of National Assembly
- Deputy Minister of Communications of the Republic of South Africa, (1 November 2010 – 24 October 2011)
He has an estimated net worth of $500,000 which he has earned as a politician.