In this article, you will read about Wendy Appelbaum Biography, Age, Husband, Net Worth & Contact Details…
Wendy Appelbaum is a South African business leader, philanthropist, and one of the richest women in South Africa. She is the Chairperson of DeMorgenzon Wine Estate, wine and agricultural business in Stellenbosch, South Africa.
There are lots of wealthy women in South Africa but just a certain woman stands out amongst them all. She is not just the richest woman in South Africa but also one of the richest women in Africa.
Wendy Appelbaum (Wendy Donna Appelbaum) is a South African entrepreneur who owns and is also the chairman of De Morgenzon Wine Estate in Stellenbosch.
She is one of Africa’s most active philanthropists, having donated a total of over US$23 million (R274 million). In 2012 Forbes listed her as one of the 10 Female Millionaires to Watch in Africa
Wendy Appelbaum is a director of the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre (Pty) Limited, which is a post-graduate teaching hospital of the University of the Witwatersrand. She is also a trustee of the World Wide Fund for Nature South Africa.
Table Of Contents
Wendy Appelbaum Age
With our little findings, the South African female billionaire was born in the year 1961 and is currently aged 60 as of 2021.
Wendy Appelbaum Husband
She is married to Hylton Appelbaum and together, they bought De Morgenzon (“the Morning Sun”), a wine estate in midst of the Stellenbosch Winelands.
Their maiden vintage, a 2005 Chenin Blanc, became the first wine ever to get five stars in South Africa’s leading wine guide John Platter.
She has a Net worth of around R2.6 Billion which she has earned from her various businesses.
Wendy Appelbaum Philanthropy
She has made donations of over US$23 million (R274 million).
She established the Wendy Appelbaum Institute for Women’s Health in order to ensure that appropriate health care attention is given to women across the country.
- Member of Global Philanthropists’ Circle
- Member of International Women’s Forum
- Member of Women Moving Millions
- Trustee of The Donald Gordon Foundation
- Trustee of The Helen Suzman Foundation
- Trustee of The Children’s Haemophilia & Oncology Clinic (CHOC)
- Trustee of The World Wide Fund for Nature South Africa
- Trustee of Redhill School Trust
- Director at The Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre, a post-graduate teaching hospital
- Director at Sphere Holdings, a black empowerment company focused on the financial services and mining sectors
- Director at The Synergos Institute Southern Africa
- Former director of Business Arts South Africa (BASA), a non-profit organization administering a government grant for Arts and Culture programs.
Richest Woman in South Africa: Things You Didn’t Know About Her
- Appelbaum’s first business venture was in 1994 with Wiphold, an investment company that empowered women from all walks of life.
- She is the only daughter of South African tycoon Donald Gordon.
- She is a trustee of The Tribune Trust, an investment holding trust, and a director of Victory Strategic Services (Pty) Limited.
- She has served as Deputy Chairman of Connection Group Holdings, an information technology firm and South Africa’s leading computer and technology retailer.
- She chairs De Morgenzon Estate, which is a wine farm and agricultural business in Stellenbosch, South Africa, and is a director of Sphere Holdings (Pty) Limited, a black empowerment company focused in the financial services and mining sectors.
- Wendy was also a director of Liberty Investors Limited, the previously listed holding company of the Liberty Group.
- In 2006, Wendy was named one of The Leading Women Entrepreneurs of the World, an organization that honours and promotes female entrepreneurial excellence.
- She was previously the Deputy Chairman of Women’s’ Investment Portfolio Limited (Wiphold Limited), the first women-controlled company to list on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange with the assets in excess of R 1billion.
- Wendy serves on the board of Synergos Southern Africa. She is also a member of the President of Harvard University’s Global Advisory Board, Harvard University’s Women’s Leadership Board, and the International Women’s Forum.
Wendy Appelbaum Contact Details
The Donald Gordon Foundation
PO Box 8749
Fax: +27 11 408 4038
Email: [email protected]