SASSA: What are Care Dependency Grant Requirements?


If you want to apply for a SASSA Care Dependency Grant, you need to know What are the Care Dependency Grant Requirements before applying. In this article, you will see the SASSA Care Dependency Grant Requirements.

Care Dependency Grant Requirements

You must:

  • be a parent, primary caregiver, or a foster parent appointed by the court
  • be a South African citizen or permanent resident
  • not earn more than R223 200 a year if you are single. Your combined income should not be above R446 400  a year if you are married.

Note: This income limit does not apply to foster parents.


The child must:

  • be younger than 18 years
  • not be cared for permanently in a state institution
  • have a severe disability and need full-time and special care.

Both you and the child must live in South Africa.


Note: A state medical officer must assess the child before the grant will be approved.

How To Apply

  1. Go to the South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) office nearest to where you live and bring the following:
    • your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID) and birth certificate. If you don’t have an ID or birth certificate:
      • Complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who is not a SASSA official.
      • Bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person (such as a councillor, traditional leader, social worker, minister of religion or school principal) who can verify your name and age.
      • The SASSA official will take your fingerprints and refer you to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.
      • Proof that you have applied for an ID and/or birth certificate at the Department of Home Affairs
      • A temporary ID issued by the Department of Home Affairs (if applicable).
      • Baptismal certificate if available.
      • Road to health clinic card if available.
      • School report if available.
    • A medical/assessment report that confirms the child’s disability.
    • Proof of your marital status.
    • Your salary slip, bank statements for the previous three months, or pension slips, and any other proof of income. (Note: this does not apply to refugee foster parents.)
    • If you are:
      • not the child’s parent, proof that you are the child’s primary caregiver through an affidavit from a police official, a social worker’s report, an affidavit from the biological parent or a letter from the school principal from the school attended by the child
      • the biological parent of the child and the sole provider and caregiver, proof that you have tried to get the other parent to pay maintenance
      • unemployed, proof from the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) or a discharge certificate from your previous employer
      • a refugee foster parent, refugee status permit and refugee ID
      • the child’s foster parent, the court order placing the child in your care.
      • Please note: If you are too old or sick to travel to the office to apply, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf. The person should take a letter from you and/or a doctor’s note saying why you cannot visit the office.
  2. SASSA will refer the child for a state medical officer’s assessment before the application is made.
  3. Complete an application form in the presence of the SASSA officer (note that only you as the applicant or a SASSA official can complete the application form).
  4. You will be given a receipt. Keep it as proof that you applied.

For more Info visit SASSA Website.

The application form is not available online, but you can get it at your nearest SASSA office.

Read Also:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *