The Richard AD Turner Bursary Fund is open for applications at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. The bursary is open to Masters’s degree students at UKZN who demonstrate a commitment to student leadership and demonstrate involvement in community work that contributes to democratic practices. Scholarships are awarded to support research at the Master’s level focused on justice and freedom for all South Africans.
Richard “Rick” Turner was assassinated during the apartheid era, and the scholarship award was established in his memory. Winifred Jane Turner (mother of Richard Turner) left a generous bequest to UKZN in her last Will. In the University community, “Rick” held an “oppositional stance,” and he was also involved with the Trade Union movement.
The following requirements must be met by applicants before they can apply (please note that if you do not meet all the requirements, your application will not be considered):
- Students must be enrolled in Masters’s degree programs at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (with research dealing with issues of freedom and justice for all South Africans)
- Student leadership credentials must be demonstrated
- It is important that you participate in community work that promotes democracy
- While holding the award, you must contribute to student leadership
- Trade unionism must be your field of expertise
How to Apply?
Applicants need to download the UKZN Richard AD Turner Bursary Application Form 2023 and complete it.
Along with your completed application form, you must submit the following supporting documentation (the submission of these documents is a prerequisite – any missing material could disqualify the application):
- CV with detailed information (maximum of 5 pages)
- Degree earned most recently
- Transcript of academic record
- Reports from at least one referee commenting on your leadership/community involvement
- You can submit either a proposal for your master’s thesis or a motivation for your dissertation (up to 3 pages)
- Describe why you are deserving of this scholarship in a motivational letter (1 page)
Applicants must submit their applications to the Financial Aid Advisor at their respective colleges:
College of Agriculture, Engineering Sciences:
- Howard campus: (Contact details: Mr. Gerald Naicker, Email Id: Naickerge@ukzn.ac.za / Contact details: Ms. Linda Mdunge, Email Id: Mdungel@ukzn.ac.za)
- The Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact info: Heather Singh, email Id: Singhh@ukzn.ac.za / Contact info: Ms. Marcia Ntamote, Email Id: NtamoteM@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact info: Lindiwe Kumalo, Email Id: Kumalo@ukzn.ac.za / Contact info: Mr. Mbongiseni Mkhize, Email Id: Mkhizemb@ukzn.ac.za)
The College of Health Sciences:
- Howard and Medical School campuses: (Contact info: Mr. Bongumusa Gumbi
- Email Id: Gumbib5@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact details: Mr. Jainendra Maharajh, Email Id: Maharajhj1@ukzn.ac.za)
- (All campuses, email Id: CHUM-UKZNBURSACCEPT@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Law & Management Studies:
- Westville campus: (Contact details: Bongamusa Gasa.
- Email Id: Gasa@ukzn.ac.za
- Contact details: Mrs. Merci Rajkumar.
- Email Id: Rajkumarma@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact details: Mr Sandile Mngadi.
- Email Id: Ndimandes1@ukzn.ac.za)
- Howard College (Contact details: Ms. Nosipho Mkhize)
- Email Id: MkhizeN5@ukzn.ac.za)
Note: The subject line of your email should be “UKZN Richard AD Turner Bursary Application 2023“.
Applications must be submitted by 20 March 2023. Applications must be submitted before the deadline to be considered for the internship programme. No applications submitted after the deadline will be considered.
If you have any questions about this scholarship programme, please contact the Financial Aid Advisor of the University of KwaZulu-Natal (see the email addresses above).