In this article, you will see a guide on how to write an Admission Deferment Letter for Undergraduate/Postgraduate plus samples in case you are interested in using any of the samples for the construction of your own deferment letter.
Before we dive into ways you can write your study deferral letter let’s look at what is deferment letter in the next subheading.
Table Of Contents
What is a Deferment Letter?
A deferment letter is a formal request to your college/university that asks them to hold your admission for a year so you can take time for a gap year.
Tips For Writing A Deferment Letter
- Try and Be Specific. Institutions have different requirements for what they want to see in a deferral letter, but generally, the more specific the better.
- Begin the letter correctly. Include the complete contact information for the school/college/university to whom you’re writing your letter, as well as your own personal contact information.
- Briefly describe the position you are now in and why you are sending the letter. One or two sentences should enough. This is the first section, and the shorter it is, the better.
- Check with the policies of the school about deferment, before writing and submitting the deferment letter.
- Learn about the correct format of writing the letter and to whom it should be addressed to.
- Make sure to display your greeting on the eft side of the letter, just beneath the date
- The date should be displayed just under your address.
- Your address should be on the right top corner.
- Then include the address of the person you are writing to at the left, just below your own address
Read Also: How To Improve Your Self-Esteem As A Student
Admission Deferment Letter Samples
Your deferment letter (body) should look like;
I am writing to request for study deferment approval.
I would wish to defer my study at University of South Africa, Faculty of Sciences (Computer Science) from Semester one of the 2nd academic year to the end of Semester two of the 2nd academic year.
I intend to resume my studies in the first semester of the 3rd academic year. I understand that I should remain in my class until I receive written approval from the Department.
My reason for deferment is that I am encountering financial challenges which have made my stay in university unbearable. I hope to have raised the required money within the one year of deferment to cover my fees and other expenses. Attached is my school fee arrear.
I understand that it is not easy to defer studies, but this is an urgent priority for me, please. I would be delighted to hear from you in person.
John Udeme A.
Your name —————–
Your Address ————-
The Vice Chancellor
University Name ———–
REF: Deferment of Admission (Make bold)
With the greatest respect, my name is (Name) and I live in…. I applied for (Course) at your prestigious university, and my application was accepted on / / (Date). However, owing to (insufficient funds/health concerns/pandemic/family issues – specify your explanation), I will be unable to attend lessons this year. I would want to study at your prominent institution since it would provide me with an excellent opportunity to develop as an educated and caring individual.
As a result, I respectfully request that you grant me permission to delay admission for (Session – Session Details). I suppose I will begin my course at (enter date) I really anticipate hearing from you.
Phone number ————
Recommended: How To Fill Out A PDF Form Online
I’m writing to inquire about the possibility of deferring my schooling.
I would want to postpone my studies at the University of Nigeria Nsukka from the first Semester of the second academic year until the end of Semester two of the second academic year, with the intention of returning in Semester one of the third academic year. I realize that I must continue in my class until the Department issues formal approval.
My argument for deferral is that I’m having financial difficulties that are making my time at university miserable. Within the one-year deferral period, I aim to have gathered enough money to cover my fee and costs. My fee arrears are attached.
I understand that deferring education is difficult, but this is a top priority for me. I would like to meet up with you in person.
Below is an image Sample of how a formal deferment letter should look like!
Please Note: Edit the reason for your deferment to suit your needs (Sickness, family problem, work commitments, financial constraint e.t.c).
Lastly, do you have any question about this post or something else? We are responding. Ask us a question in the comment section.
Demzyportal Category: How To Articles