Matric Rewrite | What You Can Do If You Are Not Qualified


You have just received your matric results and find out that, for some reason, you do not qualify for a matric rewrite. Here is what you can do about it.

Matric Rewrite

If it happens that you didn’t get the results you were hoping for in Matric, it is usually the case that you qualify to write a second national exam in the year immediately after your Matric final.


But if you do not qualify to register for the May/June 2022 examinations you can consider exploring the following options:

  • Re-enrol for the National Senior Certificate at a school, provided that the candidate is younger than 21 years of age.
  • Register as a part-time candidate at a Public Adult Education Centre provided that the candidate is older than 21 years of age.
  • Register for vocational education and training at a Further Education and Training college.

You can also re-enroll for your Matric year, and retake the end of year exams, up to 5 years after you complete matric. If you matriculated more than 5 years ago, you can apply for an Amended Senior Certificate.


Matric Rewrite Requirements

And to qualify for a supplementary exam you must meet the following requirements:

  • If you did not pass Grade 12 but need to pass 2 subjects to obtain your NSC. You can register to retake any number of subjects for your supplementary exam. However, you need to have written these subjects during your final year exams.
  • If you were medically unfit or had another special reason for being absent for an exam.
  • In the instance of a death in your immediate family, you may register for the supplementary examination.
  • If you provide evidence that you qualify for admission to a higher education institution/occupation but do not satisfy the requirements, or if you are one requirement short in meeting the minimum admission requirements for higher certificate, diploma and bachelor degree programs, you can register for supplementary exams.
  • In a case where an irregularity is being investigated, provisional enrollment for supplementary examination may be granted, pending the outcome of the investigation.
  • If you were unable to write or complete one or more of the National Senior Certificate examination question papers for reasons other than illness or injury. The school principal will need to submit a report to the Head of the assessment body.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *