The nursing profession is a commendable and selfless one in which a licensed healthcare professional is tasked with caring for the ill. The following is a breakdown of the post-matric qualifications a student would need to pursue this career path.
A qualified nurse is just as important a healthcare professional as a qualified doctor maybe when it comes to the internal operations of a standard hospital.
If one desires the opportunity to put selfishness aside and prioritize selflessness in healthcare for others, then nursing may be an apt career opportunity for them.
Nevertheless, there are a number of requirements to undergo before one can become a qualified nurse. To start, there are three types of nursing qualifications to be pursued, which include:
- A Senior Certificate in Nursing
- A Diploma in Nursing
- A Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- (There is also a Baccalaureus Curationis (BCur) degree that is offered as an alternative).
The requirements to study each of these course options are as follows:
Higher Certificate in Auxiliary Nursing (1 year):
- Student must have acquired their National Senior Certificate (NSC) at the end of their matric academic year with an overall NSC score of 16 points including at least 40% in English or their home language and at least 50% for Life Science or Biology
Advanced/Diploma in Nursing (3 years):
- Students must acquire at least a matric education standard and have passed Mathematics, English, a First/Home Language, Life Orientation, and Life Science. Finally, the student must enroll as a nurse with the South African Nursing Council.
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (4 years):
- Students must acquire at least a matric education standard and have passed Mathematics, English, a First/Home Language, Life Orientation, and Life Science. Finally, similarly to the Diploma enrolment requirements, the student must enroll as a nurse with the South African Nursing Council.
Institutions Offering Nursing Courses in South Africa
Requirements To Study Law In South Africa
Wits School of Education Entry Requirements
Unisa MBA Courses Admission Requirements
Requirements To Study Nursing Courses In SA
South African Universities Admission Requirements 2023
Demzyportal Category: Admission Requirements
My name is John U., I’m the founding Editor at Demzyportal and an SEO Expert. I make sure every blog post published on Demzyportal is EPIC.