NaTIS Online Services which can be accessed at online.natis.gov.za, help South Africans with motor vehicle-related queries including driving licence card renewal booking.
Make Bookings to apply for Learner Licence, Driving License and/or Professional Driving Permits, without having to visit Traffic Departments not having the guarantee of being assisted after standing in long queues. Kindly check details below.
NaTIS Online Service Portal
You can visit the NaTIS Online Service via: https://online.natis.gov.za/
How to Book for Driver’s Licence Renewal Through Online Natis gov za
To book for a drivers licence renewal, visit the NaTIS online portal. Here’s how the NaTIS online booking system works:
- Step 1: Go to https://online.natis.gov.za
- Step 2: Choose province on the homepage
- Step 3: Then click on “Book Now” under Book now for Driving Licence Card Renewal
- Step 4: Select Identification Type
- Step 5: Enter your Identification Number (ID), Surname and Initials
- Step 6: Then click “Next”
- Step 7: Follow the rest of the instructions to successfully book a slot to renew your driving license card
The online.natis.gov.za only allows people staying in Gauteng to book for their driving license renewal. If you reside in other provinces, you check the details below.
How to Apply for Your Drivers Licence Renewal
To renew your driving licence, you need to go to your nearest Licensing Traffic Department with the below documents:
- Your original identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, your old driving license card or valid passport
- Four black-and-white ID photographs (some DLTC take their own photos using the new online system)
- Proof of residential address. It can be a utility bill in your name. If the bill is not in your name, the bill’s owner must go to the nearest police station and make an affidavit stating that the applicant lives at the address. The utility bill must accompany the affidavit
- For people staying at informal settlements, they must bring a letter with an official date stamp from the ward councilor and confirm your residential address
- Application fee for a new licence.
NaTIS Frequently As Questions
- A duly completed application form RLV. Note the declaration at the signature – do not make yourself liable to prosecution for providing false information.
- Acceptable identification of the title holder as well as of the owner (only one set if it is only one person).
- A certificate issued by the manufacturer or importer of the motor vehicle on the official stationery of such manufacturer or importer OR the registration certificate (form RC1) issued to the manufacturer, builder or importer when they registered the vehicle into stock for the first time.
- The relevant fees as prescribed in the province of your appropriate registering authority (authority in whose area you reside).
- A duly completed application form RLV
- Acceptable identification of the title holder and owner
- The registration certificate concerned (obtained from the current title holder)
- The appropriate fee
- The following documents shall also be submitted as required by the situation:
- If the tare has changed due to any reason, a mass measuring certificate. Check with the registering authority for facilities from which these certificates are accepted.
- If the VIN/chassis number of the vehicle is not correct on the eNaTIS, go through the police clearance process before the registration is submitted. The completed form RPC must accompany the application for registration.
- If required by the registering authority, proof of the right to be registered as title holder of the motor vehicle concerned. Such proof may be an invoice, a sales agreement, etc. It is advised that you phone your nearest call centre or registering authority to establish whether they accept or require any other document as proof.
- The police clearance process works as follows:
- Request form RPC from the registering authority closest to the vehicle; this form is printed from the eNaTIS with the current vehicle details
- Take the vehicle and the RPC form to the police office indicated on the RPC form, make sure that the police complete their part of the RPC form
- VERY IMPORTANT: Take form RPC back to the authority that issued it, for completion of the process.
At the age of 16 years or older, you may obtain a code 1 learners licence which will allow you to drive only
- a motor cycle type vehicle with a maximum engine capacity of 125 cc
- a moped where pedals are available to assist the engine or motor
If you are the holder of a valid code 1 learners licence and 18 years old or older, you may drive a motor cycle type vehicle with any engine capacity.
At the age of 17 years or older you may obtain a code 2 learners licence which will allow you to drive any motor vehicle excluding
- motor cycle type vehicles
- any motor vehicle of which the tare exceeds 3 500 kg
- a bus or goods vehicle of which the gross vehicle mass exceeds 3 500 kg
- an articulated motor vehicle of which the gross combination mass exceeds 3 500 kg
At the age of 18 years or older you may apply for a code 3 learners licence which allows the driving of any motor vehicle excluding motor cycle type vehicles.
Once you have obtained a learners licence, you may drive the type of vehicle for which the learners licence is valid. However, you must be accompanied by a driver licensed for the specific vehicle, except in the case of a motor cycle because a learner driver may not transport another person on a motor cycle.
You may be allowed to prebook a learners licence test spot at a call centre. Note that this is not the application, only courtesy to fit your diary. You must apply for a learners licence in person at a driving licence testing centre. You must submit the following:
- duly completed form LL1
- Two identical black and white or colour driving licence type photographs of yourself
The driving licence testing centre will provide you with a date and time on which you will be allowed to complete the learners licence test. You may apply before the qualifying age (see above), but at the time of the of the scheduled learners licence test, you have to be old enough in order to be issued with the learners licence. The learners licence test is a written test to verify your knowledge of the rules of the road, road traffic signs and the controls of a motor vehicle.
If you have passed the test, an issue fee is required to issue the learners licence certificate. One of your photos and your signature will be attached to the certificate and this should be covered with security tape.
You must hold a valid learners licence to be tested for the issuing of a driving licence, i.e. the learners licence must still be valid on the driving licence test appointment date. The learners licence remains valid for its full period unless cancelled by a court order. You may thus, for example, hold a learners licence and if you fail a (practical) driving licence test, be tested again within the period of validity of the learners licence.
Before applying for a driving licence, you must have a learners licence. You must be over the age of 18 before you can apply for a driving licence for a motor vehicle and over the age of 16 to apply for a licence to operate a motor cycle (with an engine capacity of up to 125 cc). When applying for a driving licence you are required to complete form DL1 and indicate which type of vehicle you would like to drive. This form must be submitted together with the following:
Your ID document Any existing driving licences Four identical black and white photographs of yourself The required fee
Your fingerprints will be taken, and you will be required to undergo an eye test. After your application has been processed, the driving licence testing centre will provide you with a date and time for your driving test. On the day of the test you will be tested according to the K53 testing standard. You will be tested to ensure that you know and understand the road traffic signs, have a sound knowledge of the rules of the road and the different signals which a driver of a vehicle is required to give when driving on a public road and are generally capable of driving the type of vehicle specified on the application. If you pass the driving licence test, you will be issued with a temporary driving licence while your credit-card-format driving licence is produced. The driving licence testing centre will notify you via post when your licence is ready for collection. You need to produce your ID document when you collect the licence card. Licences not collected within 120 days are destroyed.
NaTIS Online Booking Portal | Access NaTIS Online Service
Driving Licence Card Renewal Booking | Complete Guide
How Do I Renew My Car Licence Online In Cape Town?
Demzyportal Category: Ask Demzyportal
My name is John U., I’m the founding Editor at Demzyportal and an SEO Expert. I make sure every blog post published on Demzyportal is EPIC.
I went for the renewal of my driver’s license on 26 July 2021, when I enquire on 6 October 2021 i was told that I have left no fingerprints and have to “redo” the fingerprints. Another picture was taken and a form completed by the official at the Boksburg office. I went earlier today 2 November 2021 to enquire after the issuing of the license, but without success. My old license has already expired and I was not issued with a temporary license. When can i expect my license to be reniewed.
Tnx first such a quick help once a leader always a champion
I can’t get into the site link above to book an appointment?
I can’t get into the link for my driving licence renewal
I can’t get into the system to renew my card, I have been trying since Friday the 11th, it keeps on throwing me out. I called their offices, but as all government departments…they just don’t answer.
No wonder the whole country is corrupt and there is no infrastructure
For once cant you idiots get one thing right. Stop stealing and fix our country. Incompetence at the highest levels.
Everything in our country is a hassle on top of rude and unhelpful staff with no sense of customer service.
good day i have been struggling to book for learners license, it keeps on telling me that the information provided does not match what they have on the system, please help
ARE MY DRIVERS LICENCE READY FOR COLLECTION AT UITENHAGE.