Are you interested in pursuing a qualification in Psychology from the University of South Africa (Unisa)? We have written the requirements you’ll need to meet before you can begin studying. Kindly read details below.
Psychology is the scientific study of mind and behavior, as well as the study of conscious and unconscious phenomena which includes feelings and thoughts.
The study of Psychology is quite broad, as there are multiple fields to venture into and specialize in. These fields include (but aren’t limited to):
- Clinical Psychology
- Climate and Environmental Psychology
- Counselling Psychology
- Experimental Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Forensic and Public Service Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Human Factors and Engineering Psychology
- Evolutionary Psychology
- Occupational Psychology
- Social Psychology
The University of South Africa’s (Unisa’s) Department of Psychology offers programmes for both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications.
To pursue a qualification in Psychology at Unisa, you first need to gain acceptance to the institution.
- Applicants (new applicants & Unisa students who applied for admission to a new qualification) may only register if they have received an offer of placement from Unisa and have accepted the offer online. Unisa reserves the right to not process and / or to cancel your registration if it is found that you were incorrectly admitted to a qualification.
- Re-registering students must register for the academic year during the relevant registration period.
- The university provides all registered students with a free myLife e-mail address. It is your responsibility to activate your myLife e-mail account as soon as your registration has been finalised. Your myLife e-mail account will be the only e-mail account recognised by Unisa for official correspondence to and from the university, and will remain the official primary e-mail address on record at Unisa.
Currently, a Bachelor of Arts (Health Science and Social Services) in Psychology is not on offer due the restructuring of the qualification that is ongoing.
Instead, you can pursue a BA General and major in Psychology.
To qualify to study towards a BA General with a major in Psychology, you need:
- A National Senior Certificate (NSC) (Degree Endorsement) with at least 50% in the language of teaching and learning, or
- A Senior Certificate (SC) with matric exemption or qualify for the exemption from the Matriculation Board with at least a D symbol on HG or a C symbol on SG in the language of teaching and learning.
Once you’re ready to submit your application, be aware of the application fees.
Unisa’s Department of Psychology is only available at the Muckleneuk Campus in the Winnie Madikizela Mandela Building in Pretoria.